Stainless steel pleated filter cartridge vs. cylindrical filter cartridge
Stainless steel filter cartridges can be in pleated form or cylindrical form.
This article will introduce the properties of stainless steel filter and compare the pleated filter cartridge with the cylindrical filter cartridge.
What is the stainless steel filter cartridge
Stainless steel filter cartridge is the filter element made of stainless steel filter media and hardware, and which is in the shape of tube or cylinder working as cartridge.
What is the application scenario of stainless steel filter cartridges
Stainless steel filter cartridges are more suitable to high temperature and high pressure working conditions than most of the non-metallic filter cartridges.
And they are applicable for various cleaning methods which are often not acceptable for non-metallic filter, such as high pressure water washing, chemical bath, ultrasonic cleaning, heating and even incineration.
Therefore the stainless steel filter cartridges are the best choice for automatic filter with backwashing or backflushing.
What is the advantage of stainless steel filter cartridge
Comparing to the non-metallic filter elements, the stainless steel filter cartridges have the advantages of:
★ Working for high temperature
★ Withstanding high pressure
★ Washable and reusable
★ Suitable for automatic backwashing / backflushing
★ Good heat transfer
The shortage / Cons of stainless steel filter cartridge
1. Weight. Stainless steel has times of weight than non-metallic materials.
2. Cost. Stainless steel filter is more expensive than most of the non-metallic counterparts.
3. Corrosion resistance. Although 316L and higher grade stainless steel have good corrosion resistance, they can not compete with some non-metallic material like PTFE in certain severe 4
4. Corrosion conditions such as HCL hydrochloride acid
5. Limited filter rating. The micron rating of stainless steel filter is limited to 0.5 micron minimum by now and not possible extended to 0.01 micron or smaller in near future. Therefore, stainless steel filter now is mainly used in filtration of micron and millimeter range.